“The International Day of Peace ‘Peace Day’ is observed around the world each year on September 21st. Established in 1981 by a unanimous resolution, Peace Day provides a globally shared date for all humanity to commit to Peace above all differences and contribute to building a Culture of Peace.”
For almost 40 years, the United Nations kept this day devoted to “commemorating and strengthening the ideals of peace moth within and among all nations and peoples.” What an amazing sentiment! Imagine if we were all dedicated to creating World Peace 365 days of the year?
What does world peace mean to you? We must first answer that question for ourselves.
We believe that a solid step toward World Peace is committing to live a moral and honest life, exhibiting the utmost integrity and care for others. Having a clear mission and vision for your life is crucial in remembering Peace, especially when we deal with situations where there doesn’t seem to be a clear answer.
We don’t think World Peace will be achieved through one momentous act or one group of people. Rather, Peace is created by the good actions of many; the actions that make up our daily lives; the actions that give us the opportunity to constantly put others before ourselves.
What are some practical ways that we can give back? We naturally thought of 7.
- Incorporate sustainable practices- We’re not just talking about using sustainable packaging or composting leftovers, we’re also talking about participating in sustainable relationships, giving back what we take from the environment, and staying away from harsh chemicals and preservatives that are harmful to our bodies! Sustainability is about valuing the long-term consequences of our day-to-day actions.
- Eagerly lend a helping hand- Reaching out to a neighbor doesn’t have to be a chore that we dread! When we lend a hand willingly and with a smile, we reaffirm that that achieving a more peaceful world is actually a goal that we all share. Stop by and see if your elderly neighbor could use help mowing her lawn or pitch in when you see someone carrying too many grocery bags. It doesn’t take much!
- Encourage a friend- Sometimes the people we are closest to actually need our encouragement the most. Never underestimate the impact you can have on your sphere of influence. Positivity tends to produce a domino effect! Make a short list of things that you appreciate about your close friend, parent, or sibling and send it to them! Sometimes people just need a little reminder of all of their wonderful qualities.
- Perform a random or anonymous act of kindness- Performing acts like these takes out any “ulterior motive”. We’re giving or ourselves simply because that’s the right thing to do and because we value Peace. Pay for the person behind you in line at your local coffee shop or drop off a pot of fall mums at the local church to brighten someone’s day.
- Support organizations that advocate for Peace- More and more, people value social responsibility and corporations are noticing. Place your loyalty with organizations that are doing their part and make it known! Maybe it’s worth a couple extra dollars or few more minutes in the car to support the organization that treats its employees with the utmost respect or pledges some of its profits to helping to single mothers, for example.
- Give to the less fortunate- We believe in the concept of sewing and reaping, and it’s not just because we plant trees! Generosity is the foundation for so many other positive things. When we are more open to giving, we take a step in a more peaceful direction. We must plant good seeds to reap a healthy and bountiful harvest.
- Celebrate the ways in which we are different, but remember the ways we are the same- While we’ve all heard it before, at the end of the day, humans are humans! We may come from different places, struggle with different things, and have different goals, but we will all benefit from more peaceful practices. Take the golden rule one step further and treat others the way they want to be treated, and we might just experience some Revolutionary Peace.
Are we claiming to have a clear answer to World Peace? Definitely not! But we have chosen to operate our business in a way that advocates for it! We’re devoted to providing quality, convenient, and safe products while fighting to alleviate poverty and deforestation. We’re always going to plant 7 trees for every furniture design sold in areas suffering from severe deforestation such as Madagascar, Haiti and Nepal, simply because we believe it’s the right thing to do!
Read more of our story and our fight for a little more World Peace here. Stay up to date on all things Furniture Pipeline by following us on social media @plantedseven !