As one of the most cost-effective forms of decorating, plants have found their way into houses, apartments, lofts, and offices alike all around the world. For some, they are the epitome of feng shui, and for others, they create just the right balance of outdoor nature with indoor comfort. Regardless of your current outlook on house plants, they check all of our boxes when it comes to healthy living! And that’s what we’re all about. Here are 7 reasons why greenery is simply the best:
- They look great- Plants just happen to complement any decor style under the sun! Whether your preference is Southwestern, modern industrial, traditional, or your own personal combination, plants can add a whole new dimension to your space. Plants are psychologically associated with freshness and cleanliness, so a home full of them is naturally more comfortable and welcoming for you and your guests! The best part: there are so many to choose from! Check out this article for a few house plant suggestions!
- They reduce stress- How often do we hear that a walk through the park is a great solution to a tough day at the office or that a hike helps you think through a problem a little more clearly? All living beings have a special internal connection with nature and we often find ourselves finding comfort in the outdoors. There is something intrinsically calming about splashes of familiar green throughout a room that keep our stress levels down! Decorative shelves, etageres, and other displays are excellent ways to keep plants present, yet out of the way.
- They energize us- People naturally respond to energy with energy! Greenery has been proven to give off energizing vibes in a number of different environments. Employees in offices take fewer sick days, work more productively, and show higher levels of contentment with their work environment when plants are present. Likewise, the plethora of plants given to hospital patients aren’t just to add some cheery color, they actually aid in a speedy recovery! Why not incorporate the same life-giving power into your home?
- They act as natural humidifiers- If your house or apartment has a severe case of dry air, a new collection of house plants could be a cost-effective fix! As a part of their photosynthetic and respiratory processes, plants release moisture vapor, which increases moisture in the air around them! Especially during the winter months, house plants can help decrease the frequency of dry skin, colds, sore throats, and a number of other respiratory distresses.
- They improve air quality- Believe it or not, our homes can house some pretty harmful toxins. That means that we have to put extra effort into cleaning the place where we spend the majority of our time. House plants in particular have the power to 1) reduce carbon dioxide levels (of course, that’s how they breath), 2) reduce levels of pollutants like benzene and nitrogen dioxide, 3) reduce airborne dust levels, and 4) keep air temperatures down. Improving your home’s air quality could be as simple as throwing a few hanging plants on a hanging shelf planter! Healthy living starts in the home; also consider shopping for low-VOC furniture to help limit the toxins that enter your home in the first place. And for more tips on healthy home living, click here.
- They can act as sound barriers or privacy screens between rooms- Large leaf house plants naturally absorb unwanted sounds between rooms in your home! Include a couple of potted plants outside your kitchen so that the clanging of pots and pans doesn’t travel through bedroom doors. Likewise, in lofts and apartments where spaces need a little extra definition, plants act as room boundaries and privacy screens. Add a little height to a potted plant with a simple, chic side table.
- Taking care of them can be a fun hobby- Unsure of exactly how “green” your thumb is? Fear not! Nowadays, there are more resources than ever for growing a healthy arsenal of potted house plants. Think of freshening up your home as a fun challenge rather than a daunting task and you’ll be surprised at how quickly you catch on! Not only that; imagine the sense of pride you’ll feel as you raise your plants! Growing your own may be a bit more involved, but they are far better for you and the environment than fake, plastic alternatives.
We say take the step and get growing! House plants can offer you and your family a number of benefits and look fantastic in the process. We’re always going to support cleaner products and improved air quality in our homes. That’s part of the reason we’re dedicated to using low-VOC finishes, sustainable materials, and 100% recyclable packaging for all of our products. Not only that, we’ll plant 7 trees in areas impacted by deforestation for every product sold (and do our part to clean up the air out there too). To stay up to date on all things Furniture Pipeline, follow us on social media @plantedseven !